Start from what I used fresh wine git build:
$ ~/wine-git/wine --version
If someone want try it, there I found some attempts do it:
- Firstly it is well known ugly hack to run ie7 in ie6 gui interface from ies4linux
- I found in general good described how-to to run IE8 under wine, but spent half day to it I had not got it worked - main window opened and first glance look fine, but no links loaded at all. I found also many similar reports about it with link to that review with questions. Solution I had not found.
- winetricks have options to install ie6, ie7 and even ie8, and it intalls them, but on finish installation process already reported (citing):
Ehh. Again ugly IE6 GUI workaround. Yes, as basis it works, but without so wanted Developer console and other tools.
In continuated search I stumbled upon one interesting article where stated what Microsoft already provide download of images wit Windows and Internet Explorer for free!
It's true. But all not without riffs.
I think it have no worth to retell linked before article. Instead this I try to focus on problems what I faced and their solutions. Step by step:
- Downlod image (I choose WINXPsp3IE8), it smaller then Windows Vista and have desired IE8.
- Create virtual box virtual machine is easy. Boot. Got message what hardware significant changed and for reactiovation I have only 3 days. Ok, it is fully enought. Enter password (disabling xneur may be good idea) and logon. Windows found many new devices for what tried found drivers and can't do that. Also not found driver for network controller (more about it later). But it is not problem I do nat whant install all them. I want now install VirtualBox Guest additions.
- Install VB guest additions. All look fine at first glance. Windows ask reboot. After reboot ... I was informed what can't use system without activation any more!!! (it was lie about 3 days few minutes before). Bad news. On virtual box forum, many people ask about that problem but thread closed and answer is absent. The solition was on the surface. And about it speak VB GA in installation process - what installation 3D support is not available in not safe mode. Initially I miss that because 3D support absolutely is not what I search. But it was a key element. If start system in first boot (if it already blocked you always may reextract image from archive again) in safe mode windows will not be blocked and continue working! So installation guest additions now completed.
- Well. At thios moment I have system in what able login, screen resolution is good and mouse pointer integration with host system work. But it is not final. Running long awaited IE8.... and remember what network is not available at all!!! Back to read instructions. Copy paste command to extrack guest additions, refresh driver... but network driver is not there. Why? It was already reported bug - such drivers was excluded to save space in iso-file. Information is power. Go to page dowloading old releases and select version 2.1.0. I downloaded rpm and do not long thinking extract from inner .iso (simply doubly enter to it in MC) directory driver AMD_PCnet.
- Now we near to finish. To transfer files on guest system without network I choose VirtualBox shared folders. Create such on host system and setup in Virtual box shouldn't makee problems. But again, windows do not see them in network places (may be because there no network interface, I dont known). Step to plan B (Are you already read VB help about shared folders, right?). There manul variant of mount via "net use x: \\vboxsvr\sharename". On this last hope. Start -> Run and... nothing. But run from command line (cmd.exe) give desired result - share mounted and new disk Z: appeared in system. Then update driver, twice select file, ok, ok, done. Success!
And finaly screenshot:
I thought is a good idea to do not shutdown that virtual machine to do not click cancel amny time each reboot on driver installation instead use hibbernate from VirtualBox.
With vope it helps someone.